01: The Job description
Reporting and Communications Officer, Consultant Level II at Dar es Salaam CO, 11 months contract
WFP – World Food Programme
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Political Science, or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English. Intermediate level of one, or more, of the UN official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese) is a plus.
The Partnerships, Communications, and Advocacy Unit of the World Food Programme (WFP) Tanzania is responsible for fundraising, resource mobilization, advocacy, and coordinating reporting and communication activities to meet set requirements.
The Consultant will provide overall expertise in the coordination and preparation of quality products that demonstrate WFP’s organizational performance and contribution in Tanzania by supporting and delivering a range of communications activities, providing research and analysis, and prioritizing effectively.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Coordinate and prepare high-quality products that demonstrate WFP’s organizational performance in Tanzania and highlight WFP’s contribution to the food and nutrition security of the country, including, but not limited to:
- Quality key corporate briefs (Country Strategic Plan briefs, Monthly Country Briefs, Annual Country Reports, etc.) in collaboration with the relevant units to ensure coherence and quality of performance information.
- High-level and strategic briefing documents (Operational briefs, Topic briefs, high level briefs, etc.).
- High-level and quality Opening Remarks, Speeches, and Talking Points for Leadership Engagements.
- Quality and timely communication materials including news releases, Op-eds, newsletters, etc.
- Collate and assist in the dissemination of political and humanitarian or development analysis pertaining to WFP’s current or future responses and donor policies, trends, and preferences to ensure country-specific input to WFP’s operational reporting.
- Collaborate internally with other functional units including Programme, Monitoring and Evaluations, Budget and Programming, Field Offices, Supply Chain, and others for enhanced access to accurate data, and information, to advocate and effectively communicate WFP’s work and impact to donors and partners.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES CONTINUED
- Provide technical advice, governance, and oversight to functional units on the reporting and communications guidance into established systems to drive the quality, consistency, and standardization of information management and performance reporting/communications across WFP.
- Collate relevant information and data from media and local internal and external sources to facilitate and maximize the exchange of information and data flow between functional area networks in WFP, to provide operational awareness and understanding of events that may have operational impact.
- Implement country-specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, as well as support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work, and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s).
- Suggest opportunities to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities.
- Update the Communication Strategy.
- Other as required.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Media and Influencer Relationship Management Demonstrates ability to formulate and maintain strong relationships with key media and influencers. Leads in implementing identified strategy to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims. Media and Communication Expertise Provides guidance to team members in facilitating open and informative verbal and written communication between media and influencers. Directs a team in the preparation of tailored written reports, presentations materials. Specialised Knowledge in Communications Uses sound theoretical knowledge of communications concepts to generate or facilitate the generation of effective communication materials across various media. Applies this to define work plans aligned to identified areas of WFP’s communications strategy. Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding Demonstrates deep understanding of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making. Communication Strategy and Planning Applies advanced understanding of WFP communications strategy and best practice to effectively develop strategies to engage with media and other significant external stakeholders within area of responsibility. Oversees implementation, providing recommendations for improvement.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Five (5) years or more of professional experience in a relevant field of work, with a background and interest in international humanitarian development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including substantive analysis and report writing skills.
- Ability to deliver results through planning and organizing own activities effectively.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple analysis and reporting requests in a deadline-driven environment.
- Willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise effectively with representatives from the international community, local and international media, governments, private sector, civil society, academia, and other relevant actors, when required.
- Excellent cross-group collaboration skills and the ability to influence stakeholders.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for applying this position is 19 September 2023.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
02: My CV
GYULA GÁBOR TÓTH
Communication adviser, communication project manager, storyteller.
E X P E R I E N C E
Founder of a creative agency aimed at developing effective communication solutions for complex sustainability and humanitarian problems.
- Leading and managing communication projects for international organizations and NGOs, to best address client’s communication needs and challenges, from communication planning and strategies to the development of innovative outputs.
- Translating often technical and complex information into engaging outputs such as videos (animation, interview, etc.), online-reports, websites, podcasts, social media campaigns, toolkits, and training materials to create impact.
- Leading a project team of communications and science professionals including designers, videographers, photographers, web developers, animators, and technical experts to create uniquely creative products.
- Overseeing all projects – providing financial oversight and budget tracking, ensuring client satisfaction and timely completion of all work.
- Leading the business, establishing vision and strategy, seeking out new opportunities and maintaining relationships with partners and clients.
- Working with international partners and clients including international institutions (UNESCO, UNEP, WHO, European Commission, International Red Cross), and other research and civil organizations in North America, Europe, Africa and Asia.
Responsible for leading the communications strategy and developing content for one of the largest environmental NGOs in Central Europe.
- Developed and implemented a new communication strategy, and led the re-branding of the organization.
- Coordinated all communications and public relations, including managing the website, newsletters, press releases, and annual reports.
- Overseeing the work of designers, web developers and videographers.
- Managed campaigns for several EU-funded projects, including SunCrown Championship and Biomass League, leading outreach for Hungarian municipalities.
- Managed events (workshops, conferences), and dealt directly with the media.
- Represented ENERGIAKLUB in international fora and conferences.
Led the creative direction of an independent advertising agency.
- Managed the creative team, comprised of designers and operators, coordinating and overseeing projects to ensure excellent results for clients.
- Developed new concepts and ideas for clients, working closely with account managers.
- Developed communication and marketing strategies, including B2B, B2C, direct marketing and merchandising materials.
- Reported directly to the CEO, advising on organizational strategy and communication planning.
Creative copyrighter in a multinational advertising agency.
- Worked with the creative team on the development of public and business marketing concepts for clients.
- Copywriting, including for print, TV, and radio advertisement scripts.
Creative copyrighter in a multinational advertising agency.
- Worked with the development of concepts for direct marketing campaigns.
E D U C A T I O N
International Environmental Communication Association, certificate
2019 / Canada
ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
University of Oslo, post-graduate certificate
2010 / Oslo, Norway
MASTER OF LAWS (LL.M.), ENVIRONMENTAL LAW
Eötvös Lóránd University of Sciences
2006-2008 / Budapest, Hungary
BACHELOR OF LAW
Pázmány Péter Catholic University
1998-2004 / Budapest, Hungary
LITERATURE, MASS COMMUNICATIONS AND TEACHING DIPLOMA
György Bessenyei Teacher Training College
1992-1996 / Nyíregyháza, Hungary
V O L U N T E E R I N G
OCSB INTERNATIONAL Hungarian language teacher, developing and running fun classes to promote literacy and
LANGUAGES PROGRAM storytelling skills (ages 8-12)
2019-2020 / Ottawa, Canada
APT613TV Creative team member, volunteering on video production and communications.
2018-2019 / Ottawa, Canada
SERIOUS FUN (BATOR TABOR) Camp counselor in summer camps designed to create positive recreational experiences for children and adolescents with chronic illnesses.
2011-2014 / Hatvan, Hungary
HUNGARIAN ASSOCIATION OF Designed an awareness raising campaign for kids on recycling.
RECYCLERS 2009 / Budapest, Hungary
03: Other descriptions of me
(Linkedin About Me) Managing a network of creative and technical team members to deliver diverse communication products for clients and in-house projects. Short video directing (research, creative framing, script writing, managing the visuals and post-production), communication campaign planning, visual identity and brand building, digital and print product creation. bee.co.hu
Gyula Gabor Toth
More than a decade ago I left my role as a creative director in the advertising industry to pursue my passion: helping organisations that are working for the betterment of people and the planet to improve their communications. After my previous role as the communication director of a Hungarian NGO, I founded BEE Environmental Communication, which focuses on visual communication and storytelling. Leading my team of creatives, I conduct research, design communication campaigns, write scripts, direct animation videos, and have produced many different kinds of multimedia tools for international organisations including EU and UN programs. I have studied Mass Communications and Environmental Law in Hungary, Sustainable Development in Norway, and Environmental Communication in Canada.
04: A cover letter for a similar job
Dear [Hiring Manager],
I am writing to express my keen interest in the Communication Specialist position at the FAO REU office. With more than a decade of experience in the field of environmental communications, and having degrees in communications and environmental law, I am a very strong candidate for this position.
As the founder and manager of a creative environmental communications agency, I have gained extensive experience in developing effective communication solutions for sustainability and humanitarian issues. In my current role, I lead a project team of communications professionals to create uniquely creative products, where I play a key role in translating the often-complex science into easily digestible outputs for different audiences. In my previous role as the Communications Director of a Hungarian environmental NGO, I led the development and implementation of the communications strategy, and was responsible for implementing communications activities for various EU-funded projects which included writing press releases, web stories, newsletters, and organizing communication events.
I have also provided various communication services and managed communication projects for United Nations and international organizations such as UNESCO, WHO, UNEP, and the Netherlands Red Cross. For UNESCO, I wrote and directed explainer and promotional videos, conducted and recorded interviews with prominent science actors, briefed local communication teams in Latin America, Asia, and Africa, wrote a book and oversaw its layout and design, and also developed social media campaigns. Working with the Netherlands Red Cross, I conduct research on various humanitarian topics to develop high-profile communication outputs, such as videos, an interactive online report and a podcast series.
I am confident that my skills and experience align well with the requirements of this position. I am particularly excited about the opportunity to provide technical support and practical advice to FAO teams in the Europe and Central Asia region. I am also eager to contribute to the development of a communication strategy for enhancing FAO’s presence in the region and to research and write news and feature stories presenting the work of FAO in Europe and Central Asia. It would be an honour to contribute to your work.
Thank you for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss my qualifications further and how I can contribute to FAO’s mission.
Gyula Gabor Toth
05: Other points to consider
Of course! Based on the information provided from the link about the “ABC test” position at WFP – World Food Programme, here are some suggestions for fine-tuning your CV and crafting a cover letter:
### **CV Fine-tuning:**
1. **Education:** Highlight any advanced university degrees you have, especially in fields like Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Political Science, etc.
2. **Languages:** Emphasize your fluency in English. If you know any of the UN official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese), make sure to mention them.
3. **Relevant Experience:**
– Showcase any experience you have in international humanitarian development.
– Highlight roles where you had responsibilities related to reporting, communications, or consultancy.
– If you’ve worked in any large organizations or NGOs, especially those related to food security or humanitarian aid, mention them.
– Emphasize skills related to media and influencer relationship management.
– Highlight your expertise in media and communication.
– Mention any specialized knowledge in communications you possess.
– If you have an understanding of the sociopolitical context, especially related to humanitarian work, it would be beneficial to mention.
5. **Achievements:** If you’ve had any significant achievements in your previous roles, especially those that align with the key accountabilities mentioned for the position, be sure to include them.
### **Cover Letter Suggestions:**
1. **Introduction:** Start by expressing your interest in the “Reporting and Communications Officer, Consultant Level II” position at WFP – World Food Programme.
2. **Alignment with WFP’s Mission:** Mention your passion for humanitarian work and how you resonate with WFP’s mission to achieve Zero Hunger.
3. **Relevant Experience:** Briefly discuss your relevant experiences that make you a suitable candidate for the role. Highlight any specific projects or roles where you had to coordinate, prepare quality products, or work in a communications capacity.
4. **Skills and Qualifications:** Discuss the skills and qualifications you possess that align with the job requirements. This could include your educational background, language proficiency, and any specialized skills in communications.
5. **Team Collaboration:** Emphasize your ability to collaborate with various functional units and your experience in liaising with different stakeholders.
6. **Conclusion:** Reiterate your enthusiasm for the role and express your eagerness to contribute to WFP’s efforts in Tanzania. Mention your availability for an interview and thank them for considering your application.
7. **Contact Information:** Include your contact details (phone number and email) at the end.
Remember, both your CV and cover letter should be tailored to highlight how your background and experiences align with the specific requirements and responsibilities of the position. Good luck with your application! If you need further assistance or a draft of the cover letter, let me know!